Australian Visa Options for Cooks, Pastry Cooks and Chefs

Yes, you are reading it right!  Cooks, Pastry Cooks, and Chefs have pathways to Australia.  These roles are listed under the Consolidated Skills Occupation List, CSOL (this is the list of roles that are in demand in Australia and roles on this list would need a sponsor to apply for a PR visa).  Chefs are also listed under the Skilled Occupation List, SOL (this is the list of roles that are highly in demand in Australia and the roles on this list do not need a sponsor and can apply directly for a PR visa).

This article intends to give you an overview of the three visa options available for these roles as shown below:

  1. Permanent Residency(PR) Visa.  Under this option, there are three streams available.  The first one is the Skilled Independent stream.  The Chefs can be eligible for this if they pass the required migration points (60), have a competent level of English (IELTS 6.0 in all bands or equivalent), and they have a positive skills assessment as a Chef. The second stream is the Nominated Skilled stream.  The same eligibility requirement applies as for the Independent Skilled stream as discussed (60 migration points, positive skills assessment, and English capability) with an additional requirement of an approved State sponsorship.   This second stream applies to Cooks, Pastry Cooks, and Chefs (for Chefs who want to claim additional points coming from the State sponsorship).  The third one is for Employer Sponsored visas.  This applies to Cooks, Pastry Cooks, and Chefs who found an employer who are happy to sponsor them for their Permanent Residency visa.


  1. Work/Internship Visa.   For these visas, the most important requirement is getting a sponsor who is happy to sponsor you.  Both the work visa and the training visa require an approved sponsorship and an approved nomination before the visa application can be granted.
    The internship visa is available for Cooks/Pastry Cooks/Chefs who are fresh graduates (who studied or has worked in a highly related field for at least 12 months in the last two years.  The internship visa lasts up to 12 months while the work visa can last up to four years (depending on your job offer).


  1. Student Visa.  This is for Cooks, Pastry Cooks, or Chefs who would like to gain more knowledge in their field, enhance their skills, and experience studying in Australia.


DISCLAMER: The article above is meant to provide general information on the Cooks/Pastry Cooks/Chefs visa pathways to Australia and not all the specific visa requirements for each option were discussed.   Other pathways may also exist depending on the applicant’s situation.  Specific advice based on your unique situation should be coursed through a Registered Migration Agent or an Immigration Lawyer.



*Johanna Bertumen Nonato is a Registered Migration Agent (MARN 1386856) and the CEO of BridgeAus Migration Consultancy (with offices in Melbourne, Australia and Makati, Philippines). Johanna is here to help you unravel your new beginnings in Australia.  For inquiries, please email or call 0427-589274.  For a free PR visa eligibility assessment, please visit